Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This week’s topic is a Valentine-themed freebie, so I decided to go with a list of some of my favorite literary couples.
You’ll probably notice there aren’t a lot of YA couples on this list. I was trying to stick to couples who I feel are timeless and I will love always; as much as I enjoy YA lit, I don’t feel like any of those couples fit that qualification.
- Henry and Clare (The Time Traveler’s Wife) – This is one of my favorite books ever; I loved it immediately the first time I read it. I love Henry and Clare, and the way their story is told.
- Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy (Pride and Prejudice) – Of course this one had to make the list. Elizabeth and Darcy are one of the greatest couples of all time.
- Yelena and Valek (The Study Series) – If you like fantasy novels and haven’t read the Study series yet, do yourself a favor and pick up Poison Study now. These books are wonderful, and you’ll fall in love with Yelena and Valek too.
- Ron & Hermione (Harry Potter) – I don’t care what Rupert Grint thinks (who, by the way, is officially not allowed to write any fanfiction). Ron and Hermione were perfect for each other from the start.
- Claire and Jamie (Outlander) – I avoided these books for so long because I don’t like straight romance books, and I thought these would walk that line a little to closely. I’m very glad I gave them a chance, as Jamie and Claire are now one of my favorite couples of all time.
- Beatrice and Benedick (Much Ado About Nothing) – This is my favorite Shakespeare play of the ones I’ve read so far (some day I’ll read them all). I really love the verbal sparring between Beatrice and Benedick, and I love how strong a woman Beatrice is. They’re a fascinating couple, and certainly equally matched.
- Westley and Buttercup (The Princess Bride) – Not only is The Princess Bride one of my favorite movies of all time, it’s also a fun book. Westley and Buttercup will forever be one of my favorite fictional couples.
- Odysseus and Penelope (The Odyssey) – I love the romance of the Odyssey – the story of a man who takes 20 years trying to get home to the woman he loves, and the lengths Penelope goes to in order to avoid remarrying because she believes her husband is still alive.
- Noah and Allie (The Notebook) – I am actually not a Nicholas Sparks fan, and I enjoyed the movie much more than the book (I actually enjoy all his movies more than the books – I think I can take the predictability and sappiness better in visual form than book form), but you can’t deny these two are a great couple with a great love story.
- Beren and Luthien (The Silmarillion) – I love Arwen and Aragorn, but the story of Beren and Luthien always got to me for some reason. I love the “Lay of Luthien.”
So there are some of my favorite literary couples. What couples would make your list? Anyone you think I should have included?