Good Morning blogging world! Surprise! I didn’t fall off the face of the planet! The past couple months have gone by so fast, and I’ve completely failed in my plan to post at least once a week – and I had been doing so well at sticking to that resolution! Plus it’s already the third week of 2016 and I’m just now getting around to my first post. Hopefully from here on out I stick to my at-least-once-a-week goal.
I see WordPress has changed their posting format again while I was away. Now I get to learn how to do this all over again. I swear they do this to me every time I disappear for a month or two.
The holiday season got crazier than I had anticipated – I was working more hours at the bookstore, plus I had an unexpected by very positive development in my personal life that now takes up a significant portion of my attention and time. Now that things are settling down I’ll be able to get back into a rhythm and work on my time management so that I’m still able to do the posting and reading I want.
Speaking of reading, blogging isn’t the only thing I’ve been slacking off on. I’ve really fallen behind on my reading as well. So far I’ve only finished one book this month, which is VERY SLOW for me. I blame most of that on the fact that I was fighting a bad cold for a couple weeks and just wasn’t feeling up to reading. Hopefully I can pick up my pace there as well, because I have a lot of things I want to be reading all at once!
I completely missed publishing a 2015 wrap-up post, which I had planned, and I’m not sure I’m going to go back and write that at this point. However, I do have a couple reading resolutions for 2016 to share. I try not to set a lot of reading goals at the start of each year, because I like to just go with the flow as far as reading goes – one of the reasons I’ve never succeeded in sticking to a summer reading list. But there are a few things I’d like to try this year.
2016 Reading Goals:
- Last year I wrote about a reading challenge where I would read a different genre book each month. Well, that kind of failed. I think I kept up with it for three or four months then forgot all about it. I’m going to try to do that again this year, and actually get through all the genres this time. I really would like to vary my reading some more this year.
- Along similar lines I would really like to have more diversity in my reading this year. I don’t mean just racial diversity in authors in characters (though I would like that as well), but diversity in genre, subject matter, and style. I want to try to discover new books that I didn’t expect to like. I have a tendency to veer towards the scifi and fantasy more often than not, and I’d really like to try to branch out a little.
- I’ve sign up to participate in Emma Watson’s feminist book club, Our Shared Shelf on Goodreads. I’m not sure how much I’ll participate in the discussions on Goodreads, but I’m looking forward to seeing what books are selected each month and reading them.
- My Goodreads challenge goal for this year is currently set at 60 books. I read almost double that last year, but I didn’t want to be too overly ambitious given my start to year. Hopefully I read well over 60 books this year, but we’ll see how things go.
- This year I am going to make more of an effort to read more of the books I already own. My stacks are starting to get a little out of hand and there are so many good books there that I’ve never read, I really need to give more of them a chance.
So those are my current reading goals for the coming year. Not anything too extensive, but it gives me lots of room to read whatever books I discover that I may be interested in.
Lastly, the Best Picture Nominees for the Oscars have been announced, so expect to see some posts about each of those films as I see them!