Top Ten Tuesday: Spreading the Love

Posted on Updated on

Top Ten TuesdayTop Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. This weekโ€™s topic is Ten Books I Really Love But Feel Like I Haven’t Talked About Enough/In A While.

Since I just started to focus this blog on books less than a year ago, there are a lot of books I’ve read over the years that I don’t get much of a chance to talk about on here, unless they make it onto one of these lists. So this is mostly a list of some of my favorite books, and a couple I’ve read recently that I talk about enough.

1. In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware – I read this toward the end of the summer and loved it. Of all the books that claimed to be the “next Gone Girl” this was probably the best, but unfortunately it got lost in all the Girl on a Train hype.
  2. The Unfortunate Decisions of Dahlia Moss by Max Wirestone – A quirky and fun geek mystery, this is one that may have easily escaped my attention but I’m glad it didn’t. Fans of dark, gritty mysteries probably wouldn’t be interested, but it really is a lot of fun.
  3. The Martian by Andy Weir – Ok, so I have given this one a lot of love, but I haven’t talked about it in a while so it technically still fits the topic. If you haven’t already read this book you really need to, whether you’re a fan of science fiction or not. This is one that can appeal to anybody.
  4. Ready Player One by Ernest Cline – This is another book I absolutely loved, and which you really should read now if you haven’t already. Especially since it will soon be a movie, and I always recommend reading the book before the movie.
  5. The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger – This book was my go-to recommendation for years whenever someone came into the bookstore asking for a book recommendation. I loved Henry and Claire and they’re story is so wonderful and tragic. This book is excellent.
  6. Stardust by Neil Gaiman – I could probably put a lot of Neil Gaiman’s books on this list, because I love nearly every one I read, but Stardust is probably my favorite. I love the fairy tale feel, with Gaiman’s own personal twist. This is a fun and whimsical story that I’ve enjoyed every time I’ve read it.
  7. The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North – This book is just brilliant. I don’t know what else to say about it. I found the entire premise fascinating and just could not put it down. And North’s follow up, Touch, is even better.
  8. Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster – Lancaster is one of my favorite authors. I love her style and her sense of humor. Her first memoir is actually the first memoir I ever read and it made me realize there was a whole genre of writing that I enjoyed but had never given a chance. If you need a good laugh, check this out.
  9. Storm Front by Jim Butcher – The Dresden Files are one of my all-time favorite book series. I absolutely love Harry Dresden and the world Butcher has created. If you’re a fan of Harry Potter and want something more adult this is a great choice.
  10. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling – I know this one may be obvious, given my reading habits. However, I feel like I don’t talk about my love for the Harry Potter series nearly enough. This series is just utterly fantastic and something every child should experience.ย I sometimes wish I could go back and experience my first read of these books all over again, though they’re just as good on every subsequent reread.

So there are 10 of the books that I absolutely love, and love encouraging people to read. which books made your list? Share in the comments!

19 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday: Spreading the Love

Bookjunkiekrystal said:
    March 23, 2016 at 6:55 am

This makes me wish I had had the time to read Harry August when our group read it… maybe after April is over I’ll consider picking it up.

CJ Dawn responded:
      March 23, 2016 at 10:20 am

You should! It was one of those rare books where everyone seemed to agree that they really enjoyed it.

My Tiny Obsessions said:
    March 22, 2016 at 4:27 pm

I loved The Unfortunate Decisions of Dahlia Moss!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Amanda said:
    March 22, 2016 at 12:53 pm

I love how many lists the Time Traveler’s Wife is on! I love that book – and it was set in my neighborhood so I love it even more. I almost added Bitter to my list too, that is one I recommend all the time. I really need to try Ready Player One and the Martian.

Nicole.Ilene said:
    March 22, 2016 at 12:20 pm

I have Ready Player One on mine too … and I have The Martian waiting on my shelf to be read! Great list ๐Ÿ™‚

Bri said:
    March 22, 2016 at 11:56 am

I completely agree that I think in a Dark Dark Wood seemed to get lost in the hype. It’s a huge bummer because I liked it infinitely better than Girl On A Train which i could just not get into

CJ Dawn responded:
      March 22, 2016 at 12:01 pm

Every time I hear someone talk about Girl on a Train I cringe. I read the entire book, but it was probably my least favorite book of last year. In a Dark Dark Wood was so good, I try recommend it to everyone I see considering buying Girl on the Train.

Bri said:
        March 22, 2016 at 7:25 pm

Oh awesome, yeah I did not understand the hype for that one at all

Lauren @ Always Me said:
    March 22, 2016 at 9:54 am

The Dresden Files are one of my all time favorites too! I’ve got two to go before I’m ready for Peace Talks! ๐Ÿ™‚

Check out my TTT.

CJ Dawn responded:
      March 22, 2016 at 9:57 am

Ooh, I didn’t even realize there was a title announced for the next one yet! I cannot wait for more Dresden!

Erika @ Booksthething.com said:
    March 22, 2016 at 9:36 am

Can’t believe I didn’t think of Harry Potter or Storm Front! I loved both of them. (both SERIES of books, actually!)

CJ Dawn responded:
      March 22, 2016 at 9:58 am

Same here. They’re both my favorite book series of all-time. I can read and reread each of them without ever getting bored. In fact, Butcher is taking so long with the next Dresden book I may need to consider a reread…

Erika @ Booksthething.com said:
        March 22, 2016 at 10:09 am

I’m with you – they are two series I’ve read more times than I can count, and with all the new stuff I want to find time for, that’s saying something! ๐Ÿ™‚

Alison Doherty said:
    March 22, 2016 at 9:23 am

The Time Traveler’s Wife was almost on my list but got edged out by other books!

bftreviews said:
    March 22, 2016 at 8:40 am

Great choices! I just read The Martian and really loved it. ๐Ÿ™‚
    My TTT

CJ Dawn responded:
      March 22, 2016 at 9:59 am

What I love most about The Martian is that fans of any and all genres seem to love it, it’s that good.

Carrie said:
    March 22, 2016 at 8:04 am

I tried reading The Time Traveler’s Wife a year or so ago and just couldn’t get into it – maybe I need to give it another try ๐Ÿ™‚ My TTT

CJ Dawn responded:
      March 22, 2016 at 10:00 am

I’m curious, what about it prevented you from getting into it? Everyone I’ve talked to has loved it, so I’d love to hear the other side.

Carrie said:
        March 22, 2016 at 10:01 am

Maybe it was the mood I was in but I just couldn’t get in to either of the characters.